Browse By

An Eerie World

Blank 101’s talk on the Deep Web took the crowd for a ride as they meandered through the subject with the presentation of astonishing facts about what really goes down in this underworld. A group of nine speakers took the stage one after the other with proficiency, their speech aided with interactive and informative PowerPoint slides.

The talk that was scheduled for 5.45 PM started a tad bit late, though no fault of their own, as the crowd kept pouring in causing a lot of fidgeting with the furniture and the searching of empty chairs. Kartikeya Singh, the Vice President of Blank-101, finally pioneered that evening’s speech at around 6 PM with an enthusiastic ‘let’s go deep!’ as he addressed an overflowing NLH 405.

The speakers had done their research intensively; they clearly knew what they were talking about. The world wide web, the audience discovered, had two parts to it: the surface web, which consists of search engines like Google and all the social media sites that the common user must thoroughly be aware of – basically the everyday sites that the average internet user has access to. This surprisingly sums up only about 4% of the internet. The remaining 96% is only accessible to a select population, after the cracking of various modes of encryption and cyber protections that are put in place. The speakers delved in further to produce the contents of this ‘deep dark side’ invoking an eerie curiosity in the room.

Occupied by sites like ‘The Hidden Wiki’, high-ranking criminals, brutal assassins and drug lords, along with government agencies and the FBI, this area of the internet is best left untapped by commoners and the general masses. The audience gasped subtly as they were shown examples of various advertisements put up by assassins that simply said ‘No children under 16 & no top 10 politicians’, in a matter-of-factly manner. The purchase of drugs like ‘Flakka’, that makes you think like a zombie – either wanting to eat other humans or commit suicide, or the Devil’s Breath, a powder which makes you forget your own identity, is also easily possible. Identity theft, child rapes and uncomplicated murders remain simply pale in comparison.

This isn’t it, it just gets worse. Apparently, there are established, active ‘Cannibalism Café Forums’, where people discuss various recipes of cooking human meat, and even offer to be eaten, that are skillfully hidden in the pockets of the Deep Web.  Fans of the TV series ‘Hannibal’ may not appreciate this reality as much as they appreciate the show. If you’re wondering where to buy child spirits from abortions or miscarriages, just in case, you may casually flick through the scores of sites offering the same. There is this concept of ‘human dolls’ – children around the age of 13 to 14 devoid of limbs (replaced by metal rods) eyes, ears or a vocal box – that is also becoming increasingly popular. Emotions of horror and disbelief ran high in the room as these facts were dissipated with solemn, emotionless voices; the speakers had clearly grown indifferent to these ideas through many rounds of prior practice.

A different set of speakers then took control of the podium to talk about the cyber organization ‘Anonymous’. This organization, that has made the mask of Guy Fawkes their symbol of recognition, has an evident moral compass. Pledged to reduce corruption and oppression of the common people by politicians and governments, it has come up with various operations like ‘Anonymous Iran’, led by the slogan “Women should not be afraid of their government, the government should be scared of their women”, ‘Operation Titstorm’ (sic), and ‘Operation Egypt’, through which Anonymous attacks the online database of corrupt governments to reduce crime. Considering the recent Paris attacks, Anonymous has committed itself to a cyber war with ISIS, which seems redundant from the outside, but really is very effective. ISIS communicates with patrons of the world to increase its size and army through various forms of social media sites online, mainly Twitter. Anonymous has reportedly shut down thousands of Twitter accounts in the past year, which definitely decelerates the growth of the radical Islamist group.

The delivery of this massively informative talk ended with a presentation slide showing a suave cat wearing sunglasses that read ‘The End’, which was followed by a round of loud applause. The floor was then opened to questions, but so well-explained was the talk, that no one had any. People excitedly talked about the Deep Web all the way down to the NLH doors as they exited, their heads packed with information and their hearts content.